Even the closest families can experience communication hurdles and conflict. As one of strongest relationships, families are also complex and deserve attention and nurturing to maintain positivity.
What is family therapy?
Sometimes referred to as strengths-based-treatment, family therapy focuses on patterns or systems versus an individual’s role in the situation or problem. Some of the reasons families may seek out therapy include:
- A change in relationships status such as marriage or divorce
- An occurrence of trauma within or around the family
- Substance abuse, eating disorders or depression
- Unexpected loss
- Conflict or changes in communication
The benefits of family counseling
Family therapy or counseling can help build effective relationships and communication tools. It can also be effective in instances of addiction, unforeseen medical or health diagnosis, or to combat conflict. Family therapy sessions can help improve:
- Communication and collaboration
- Empathy and understanding of one another and circumstances
- Inter-family conflict
- Understanding and problem-solving